A – Z listing of Supplements that help your body fight off viral infections.
Viral infections are a symptom of a weak immune system. A healthy nutrient dense diet, a healthy lifestyle, and a body void of as many toxins as possible is the first and foremost defense. Provided your gut is healthy, listed below are supplements you can take to fortify your immune system to fight off viruses:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Many viruses often start in the throat or nasal cavities. At the first sign of a sore throat or sinus infection, gargle or sip organic apple cider vinegar. Gargling lowers the viral load, leaving your body with fewer invaders to replicate.
- Berberine is an alkaloid compound found in several different plants, including European barberry, goldenseal, goldthread, Oregon grape, Phellodendron, and Coptis chinensis. It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-parasitic, and immune-enhancing properties. It’s been proven effective against a vast array of bacteria, protozoa, and fungi. It can be used topically on cuts and other wounds, and it’s perhaps most commonly used to treat gastrointestinal issues.
- Colloidal silver is believed to interfere with the enzymes that allow viruses (bacteria and fungi as well) to utilize oxygen.
- Echinacea: Echinacea not only supports the immune system, it also has been proven to reduce the severity and duration of viral infections.
- Garlic: Garlic is anti-viral, anti-fungal, and antibacterial. You can take garlic in a tonic or if you can handle it, chew raw garlic. It not only will help fight the virus, it will help kill any secondary infections trying to take root.
- Green tea: The flavonoids in green tea are believed to fight viral infections by preventing the virus from entering host cells and by inhibiting replication.
- Probiotics: Probiotics are always helpful in maintaining gut health, especially when the body is under a viral attack that involves the digestive system. Probiotic foods and drinks without added sugar can help maintain a healthy balance of bacteria. A healthy immune system begins in the gut with a healthy balance of beneficial bacteria. Your immune system is wholly dependent on your gut health. A sick gut has an abundance of fungi and other pathogens, and a healthy gut has a wide variety of beneficial bacteria.
- Zinc: Zinc has been proven to be effective against the common cold and to be effective as a topical treatment for herpes sores. It is believed to be effective due to preventing replication of the virus. The immune system needs selenium to work properly and to build up the white blood cell count.